Halo CE - Sudden Conflict
(SBB) Storm
(stormwizard95)
(SBB) Storm & Blackbird
Posted: 2012-03-25 4:02 AM PDT
Sudden Conflict

Huhu is this going to be interesting. To start off, for those who don't know me, I am a hobby map reviewer. I've played and reviewed numerous maps in the past such as DMT's, Wolf Grave's, Billy C. aka 00m9's and (NP)'s maps.

Speaking of (NP), (NP) Final has yet made another masterpiece. If you don't know him, he made The Fall of the Resistance and The Last Capital Ship maps. His maps are well-known for having well made custom scripts, which everyone should try out. Sudden Conflict however, brings a new script to the table. If you guys played Halo 2, I'll bet my arse off, that you enjoyed the active camouflage from the Arbiter. If so, then this map is for you. The new script features that. You can use the active camouflage by pressing "Q" when you are playing. You can use it for 15 seconds, but it needs another 20 seconds afterwards to recharge. Now with the main part said, let's get on with some details.

Gameplay
Final only uses the CMT SPV2 tags and is therefore commonly known by you guys, so nothing new here. For contacts against the covenant, it's really going to be surprising, since you find yourself in a lot of different situations. And with the help of your active camouflage, it's really a new experience. Unlike Final's other maps, this one doesn't feature any boss. This was a let-down for me, since I've been waiting for a random tough guy to show up, but don't expect that anymore. What some players in halomaps had in mind, was if this map is deathless-player mandatory. I don't know what they were thinking or doing, but this isn't the maps he made in the past. By the wish of some people, he lowered the difficulty (my opinion), but even this wasn't enough. If you are one of those guys, then good luck. I give the gameplay therefore an 8.5/10.

Sountrack
Soundtrack is pretty decend enough. You'll hear quite fitting music to every task you do, which makes you want to move forward and kick some arses. With that said, soundtrack selection is perfect and is a 10/10.

Replay
With the new active camouflage script, you'd definitely want to test out your stealth skills in various difficulties. It worked out well for me, but I always had the feeling, that they would literally notice you, if you stand in-front of them too long on legendary. So watch out for that. With that, I give it a 9/10.

Overall
Being realistic here, the true feature of this map is its script. Being optimistic though, this map is fun as hell and would get you sweating. On the side note, I tested this map in the beta stage and boy did we make a lot of changes to the map, until it is as it is. Final listens to changing suggestions and does it quickly of course. And obviously, he'll need more feedback from people, so that the future maps are enjoyable for everyone. My final score for this map is a 9/10.

To get this map started, open dev-mode and run Halo CE. In the menu, type ~ or ^ (for EU keyboards) and type in:
map_name(space)(name of the map in your map folder or list)
map_name sudden_conflict

LINKS
My gameplay of this map:
Halo CE - Sudden Conflict [HD] [1/3] - http://youtu.be/MaydT6UX0OM
Halo CE - Sudden Conflict [HD] [2/3] - http://youtu.be/oI-mvr1qXlM
Halo CE - Sudden Conflict [HD] [3/3] - http://youtu.be/EKqFnrWVcew

Trailer of the map - http://youtu.be/QNbY9ayyKIM

Website - http://npmappingteam.altervista.org

Download - http://www.mediafire.com/?uno02nz66u9kgb9
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?pg=3&fid=6287

Forum Discussion - http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=40482

Last edited 2012-03-28 5:23 AM PDT; Edited 1 time
█ ▄°火Đraco FireBlaze龙°▄ █
(47richie74)
Clarification Zone
RE: Halo CE - Sudden Conflict
Posted: 2012-03-25 4:21 AM PDT
nice map review Alien!

hmm... you didn't give a rating for the storyline though. You should lay out a summarised plot (no spoilers) and rate it altogether.

Last edited 2012-03-25 4:24 AM PDT; Edited 1 time
(SBB) Storm
(stormwizard95)
(SBB) Storm & Blackbird
Posted: 2012-03-25 4:33 AM PDT
Quote from 47richie74nice map review Alien!

hmm... you didn't give a rating for the storyline though. You should lay out a summarised plot (no spoilers) and rate it altogether.
Well storyline is pretty much the same as the other maps Final made. You rescue squad after squads of marines, but I intentionally review the qualities of these situations (Gameplay, Soundtrack and Replay). Unless all of these maps were to come together in one big storyline, then I'll review that.

Alright, thanks for the comment(s)

{NP} ƒîñÄL
(npfinal)
Not a Member
Posted: 2012-03-25 5:34 AM PDT
Thanks for this review on Xfire
Yes, I have lowered the difficulty: lots of players on Halomaps.org playing a hard map on normal mode and constantly dying could get "angry", so they could give a bad feedback of the map.

But I have an idea to fix this problem:
When I'll make another map, the players will be able to choose the difficulty at the startup of the map. I will put just two difficulty:
• Normal mode (like the difficulty of this map)
• Hard mode (with better AIs, one or more boss and other good things...)

(SBB) Storm
(stormwizard95)
(SBB) Storm & Blackbird
Posted: 2012-03-25 6:07 AM PDT
Quote from npfinalBut I have an idea to fix this problem:
When I'll make another map, the players will be able to choose the difficulty at the startup of the map. I will put just two difficulty:
• Normal mode (like the difficulty of this map)
• Hard mode (with better AIs, one or more boss and other good things...)
Oh yeah, that will be more promising. This feature was in Covert Ops:

And no one complained on how hard (or easy) the maps were. So yeah, that would be a great addition to your series

reeiiko
(qwertyuiop15)
Not a Member
Posted: 2012-03-25 3:17 PM PDT
For those who don't know, typing "game_difficulty_set [difficulty]" in devmode lets you choose the difficulty you want. However it doesn't work all the time.

(SBB) Storm
(stormwizard95)
(SBB) Storm & Blackbird
Posted: 2012-03-26 6:00 AM PDT
Quote from qwertyuiop15For those who don't know, typing "game_difficulty_set [difficulty]" in devmode lets you choose the difficulty you want. However it doesn't work all the time.
No sh*t sherlock. Lol anyway, it's for the people, who don't get that crap and use trainers or such to playthrough maps. Believe me, there are a ton of them out there xD

reeiiko
(qwertyuiop15)
Not a Member
Posted: 2012-03-26 11:58 PM PDT
Quote from stormwizard95
Quote from qwertyuiop15For those who don't know, typing "game_difficulty_set [difficulty]" in devmode lets you choose the difficulty you want. However it doesn't work all the time.
No sh*t sherlock.
You'll be surprised how m any people don't actually know about it =\

█ ▄°火Đraco FireBlaze龙°▄ █
(47richie74)
Clarification Zone
Posted: 2012-03-31 5:22 AM PDT
(sorry if message is a bit vague or something. Typing late at night, tired, can't think properly, etc.) Hey final, for the bit where you clear out the area for the pelican to land, there is a covenant dropship that you need to shoot down to kill it. Maybe in the future for something similar to this instead of automatically giving the weapon you could have some part where you're supposed to evade the dropship until you get to an area where the laser is?

reeiiko
(qwertyuiop15)
Not a Member
Posted: 2012-03-31 3:10 PM PDT
Quote from qwertyuiop15For those who don't know, typing "game_difficulty_set [difficulty]" in devmode lets you choose the difficulty you want. However it NEVER WORKS
Just fixed my post.

{NP} ƒîñÄL
(npfinal)
Not a Member
Posted: 2012-04-01 2:59 AM PDT
Quote from 47richie74(sorry if message is a bit vague or something. Typing late at night, tired, can't think properly, etc.) Hey final, for the bit where you clear out the area for the pelican to land, there is a covenant dropship that you need to shoot down to kill it. Maybe in the future for something similar to this instead of automatically giving the weapon you could have some part where you're supposed to evade the dropship until you get to an area where the laser is?

I have thought it, I didn't because if you try to fire to the dropship with the caingun, after 200 shots you make it explose, and that's also a good way to kill him. So, if a player destroys the dropship and then he must reach the laser... I think it's senseless.
However this could be done adding a script continuous with some "If propositions", the next time I'll make some better additions.
  Last edited 2012-04-01 3:00 AM PDT; Edited 1 time
reeiiko
(qwertyuiop15)
Not a Member
Posted: 2012-04-01 2:26 PM PDT
Yea I kinda agree with Fireblaze. I didn't even know I had the spartan laser till I was stuck crouching behind a covenant box thing with almost 0 health. My chaingun was outta ammo & the covie ship was still there lol.

Jump to: